Skip to main content

How Salt Turns Your Scale Into a Funhouse Mirror

A lot of diet plans will instruct you to avoid salt. It's not great for your heart and blood pressure, but I suspect that they also tell you this because it'll create some weird distortions in your weight and they want you to stick with their plan.

Here at Cheapo, we take a different approach. Feel free to use salt if it's replacing a topping high in calories and/or sugar, but otherwise, don't go crazy with it every day or you'll get some wild weight swings, even if you're hitting your calorie targets. Water weighs a lot - 8 pounds per gallon, and the more sodium you intake the more water you'll retain.

Ultimately, calories are what count and weekly weight averages are your performance metric, but the statistical noise created by sodium can be a bummer if it catches you off guard. The water you retain from a high sodium day will flush out in the next day or two, provided you also normalize your salt intake.

Also, be advised that restaurants use a lot of salt, so even if you think you're moderating yourself with your menu choices, you're going to see some level of spike on the scale the next day. It's just going to happen, so be prepared for it so that you don't get frustrated.

Lastly, I really recommend my skinny iced coffee as your daily driver drink of choice. Coffee is a diuretic, so it'll cause you to flush a lot of the excess sodium out of your system while it hydrates you with all that melted ice. The caffeine will also make you a little more wired and inclined to move around a lot. Just try to break the habit of using sugar - zero calorie sugar substitutes are ok, but you can use preferably skim milk or alternatively coffee creamer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Updates (2/9/2018)

Week one of BUD/S training is going OK. I can do everything but all the sit-ups (and of course the swimming, due to the lack of pool). The best I could bang out with sit-ups were 2 sets of 20, 1 of 15 and 1 of 10. But, at least I haven't experienced any soreness yet. Just the little bit of additional activity has me losing even slightly more weight. I'm holding my weight under the 40 pound loss benchmark on the scale every day now, and I'm feeling really good. I've almost forgotten how much I enjoyed running, which I'm sure has a lot to do with how much less of a strain it is on my body. I'm not going to lie - it was nothing short of exhilarating holding down the weight button on the treadmill for as long as it took to reduce the weight setting from 198 to 157- my weight from the last time I set it. It was definitely a bizarre experience. After the PowerWatch bust, I decided to try out another activity tracker watch. So, I ordered a Garmin Fenix 5X. It's...

Fighting the Backslide

Well, the summer of unavoidable calorie bombshells is over, and while the good ship Cheapo held up through most of it (look at that beautiful flat line in late August), by the end of the summer of nonstop weddings and travel, I caught myself at 167 pounds. That's 9 pounds higher than my target weight. I actually probably crossed the 10 pound Rubicon at one point, giving back a full 25% of my total losses (yeesh) had I had the nerve to step on the scale immediately following the last wedding of the summer in which I practically single-handedly destroyed the buffet. Destroyed! My clothes were starting to feel a little tight and I subconsciously found myself reaching for my larger fitting clothing. Not good. I've slipped out of my Navy SEAL lite training program. Also, not good. I missed a few consecutive days of calorie logging - red flag. Since I hit my 158 target earlier this year, I gave myself a little more leniency with weekend indulgences, but the 80% rule sho...

Intro - The Plan

Welcome! Presumably, you've arrived here because you're drawn to two of my favorite hobbies: losing weight and saving cash. Until 5 months ago, I thought that each of those two things were incompatible with the other. I always thought that being fit meant either getting used to shelling out big bucks for expensive gym memberships and overpriced health food, or that saving money meant getting used to back pains from your wide-ass sitting on a fat wallet after passing over the high-price hipster wrap shop for a $1.50 McDouble. Well, I'm happy to report that you can indeed lose weight on the cheap with minimal sacrifices to your current lifestyle. On July 10, 2017 I weighed 198 lbs and as of December 21, 2017, I now weigh 160 lbs. I have not set one foot in the gym, on a treadmill or lifted any weights, and I have saved several thousand dollars in food costs. I'm not here to sell anything. I'm just sharing my strategy. The weight loss industry is built on...