Skip to main content

Goal Status: Achieved


I finally, officially hit my target loss of 40 pounds today. I've been kind of bouncing around in the 158-point-something to 160 range over the Christmas and New Year's holidays - proof that if you can sort of contain the damage over unavoidable high-calorie events, you can hit your target weight. It just might take a little longer.

I realistically have 5-10 more pounds that I could lose, though I've noticed that if I mention that to people they start looking concerned as if I'm starting to develop an eating disorder, which I'm not sure that being a cheap-ass really qualifies as. If I run my stats through the US Navy body fat calculator, it says my body fat percentage is 19% and "Acceptable" - still not quite "fit".

I'd like to finally have a six-pack for the first time in my life, but I'm in a comfortable weight range now. My goal was to be able to say I've lost 40 pounds by my 40th birthday, so I can officially check that off the list.

At some point soon, I may add in some light, quick weight training like pull-ups, push-ups and sit-ups. I've threatened my wife that my next goal might be turning myself into something resembling Hugh Jackman in Wolverine:


That's a side-by-side of him at 31 vs 44 - pretty crazy. I don't know that it's really attainable unless I turn fitness into a full-time hobby (not happening), start eating expensive food (yeah, no) and hiring one of the top personal trainers in the world (lulz).

Still, I recall watching him in an interview saying it was mostly all nutrition, but I think he was eating about 6000 calories a day of boiled chicken, which seems rather insane and not especially cheapo. He was also spending about 3 hours a day in the gym, which just isn't feasible or motivating enough for me.

In any case, I'll be curious to see how many pull-ups I can do now that I'm 40 pounds lighter. I think I used to be able to crank out at least 10-12 on my chin-up bar even at my heaviest. In high school, where I weighed about what I am now, I believe I could do in the high teens or maybe even 20. So, maybe my next goal will be to be able to do more pull-ups than I could as an 18 year old.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Updates (2/9/2018)

Week one of BUD/S training is going OK. I can do everything but all the sit-ups (and of course the swimming, due to the lack of pool). The best I could bang out with sit-ups were 2 sets of 20, 1 of 15 and 1 of 10. But, at least I haven't experienced any soreness yet. Just the little bit of additional activity has me losing even slightly more weight. I'm holding my weight under the 40 pound loss benchmark on the scale every day now, and I'm feeling really good. I've almost forgotten how much I enjoyed running, which I'm sure has a lot to do with how much less of a strain it is on my body. I'm not going to lie - it was nothing short of exhilarating holding down the weight button on the treadmill for as long as it took to reduce the weight setting from 198 to 157- my weight from the last time I set it. It was definitely a bizarre experience. After the PowerWatch bust, I decided to try out another activity tracker watch. So, I ordered a Garmin Fenix 5X. It's...

Fighting the Backslide

Well, the summer of unavoidable calorie bombshells is over, and while the good ship Cheapo held up through most of it (look at that beautiful flat line in late August), by the end of the summer of nonstop weddings and travel, I caught myself at 167 pounds. That's 9 pounds higher than my target weight. I actually probably crossed the 10 pound Rubicon at one point, giving back a full 25% of my total losses (yeesh) had I had the nerve to step on the scale immediately following the last wedding of the summer in which I practically single-handedly destroyed the buffet. Destroyed! My clothes were starting to feel a little tight and I subconsciously found myself reaching for my larger fitting clothing. Not good. I've slipped out of my Navy SEAL lite training program. Also, not good. I missed a few consecutive days of calorie logging - red flag. Since I hit my 158 target earlier this year, I gave myself a little more leniency with weekend indulgences, but the 80% rule sho...

Intro - The Plan

Welcome! Presumably, you've arrived here because you're drawn to two of my favorite hobbies: losing weight and saving cash. Until 5 months ago, I thought that each of those two things were incompatible with the other. I always thought that being fit meant either getting used to shelling out big bucks for expensive gym memberships and overpriced health food, or that saving money meant getting used to back pains from your wide-ass sitting on a fat wallet after passing over the high-price hipster wrap shop for a $1.50 McDouble. Well, I'm happy to report that you can indeed lose weight on the cheap with minimal sacrifices to your current lifestyle. On July 10, 2017 I weighed 198 lbs and as of December 21, 2017, I now weigh 160 lbs. I have not set one foot in the gym, on a treadmill or lifted any weights, and I have saved several thousand dollars in food costs. I'm not here to sell anything. I'm just sharing my strategy. The weight loss industry is built on...