Skip to main content

The Cheapest Time of the Year


The stretch between Halloween and New Year's is one of the best but also the toughest times of the year for the cheapo. Between Christmas parties, Christmas party leftovers and people dumping off candy and sweets in the kitchen areas at work, it's extremely difficult to keep off pounds when you're constantly bombarded with free food. I cannot recall the last time I spent any money on food at work that weren't snacks that I keep in my desk to stretch out over time. I've been saving a lot of money, but it's only because I've been walking through a free calorie minefield every day.

Throughout most of the year, approaching your food spending budget with the mindset of a homeless person will translate into easy and dramatic weight loss, but the cheapo diet isn't meant to withstand this kind of free food bonanza. Not only is all this free food keeping me from buying lunch at work, it's cutting down on my grocery bills! Sure, there's some fruit there, but a cheap man cannot live on fruit alone, especially when pasta with meat sauce in the offering.

I won't be adding any graphs to this post because they're not very pretty as of late. The 5 pounds I dropped right before my trip to Italy I gave right back to the calorie gods in the blink of an eye.

Also complicating matters is the fact that I haven't been able to keep my steps over 20,000 every day to counterbalance some of these gastronomical excesses. We've got a baby on the way in March, and it's been a non-stop sprint every night (unfortunately only in the figurative sense) to get the house in order so my afternoon dog walks have been kind of short in the interest of time.

The only good news is that all the work is keeping me out of the kitchen every night, and even doing busy work around the house will burn off some calories but not enough to translate into weight loss. I guess I should be happy that I've been holding the line at 167. I know for sure that I've breached the 170 mark a few times during this onslaught, but I've been too chicken to step on the scale those days to face reality.

I've also been slipping in the food logging department because what I've been eating as been kind of all over the place. I'm still eating my power breakfast every morning, so at least the good ship cheapo hasn't totally capsized.

My plan is to power through my remaining house prep tasks for the baby, hopefully wrap them by the end of this weekend and return to my normal routine on Monday. I don't expect any let up in the free food department, but at least I can offset them a little more on the step counter until the New Year.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Updates (2/9/2018)

Week one of BUD/S training is going OK. I can do everything but all the sit-ups (and of course the swimming, due to the lack of pool). The best I could bang out with sit-ups were 2 sets of 20, 1 of 15 and 1 of 10. But, at least I haven't experienced any soreness yet. Just the little bit of additional activity has me losing even slightly more weight. I'm holding my weight under the 40 pound loss benchmark on the scale every day now, and I'm feeling really good. I've almost forgotten how much I enjoyed running, which I'm sure has a lot to do with how much less of a strain it is on my body. I'm not going to lie - it was nothing short of exhilarating holding down the weight button on the treadmill for as long as it took to reduce the weight setting from 198 to 157- my weight from the last time I set it. It was definitely a bizarre experience. After the PowerWatch bust, I decided to try out another activity tracker watch. So, I ordered a Garmin Fenix 5X. It's...

Fighting the Backslide

Well, the summer of unavoidable calorie bombshells is over, and while the good ship Cheapo held up through most of it (look at that beautiful flat line in late August), by the end of the summer of nonstop weddings and travel, I caught myself at 167 pounds. That's 9 pounds higher than my target weight. I actually probably crossed the 10 pound Rubicon at one point, giving back a full 25% of my total losses (yeesh) had I had the nerve to step on the scale immediately following the last wedding of the summer in which I practically single-handedly destroyed the buffet. Destroyed! My clothes were starting to feel a little tight and I subconsciously found myself reaching for my larger fitting clothing. Not good. I've slipped out of my Navy SEAL lite training program. Also, not good. I missed a few consecutive days of calorie logging - red flag. Since I hit my 158 target earlier this year, I gave myself a little more leniency with weekend indulgences, but the 80% rule sho...

Intro - The Plan

Welcome! Presumably, you've arrived here because you're drawn to two of my favorite hobbies: losing weight and saving cash. Until 5 months ago, I thought that each of those two things were incompatible with the other. I always thought that being fit meant either getting used to shelling out big bucks for expensive gym memberships and overpriced health food, or that saving money meant getting used to back pains from your wide-ass sitting on a fat wallet after passing over the high-price hipster wrap shop for a $1.50 McDouble. Well, I'm happy to report that you can indeed lose weight on the cheap with minimal sacrifices to your current lifestyle. On July 10, 2017 I weighed 198 lbs and as of December 21, 2017, I now weigh 160 lbs. I have not set one foot in the gym, on a treadmill or lifted any weights, and I have saved several thousand dollars in food costs. I'm not here to sell anything. I'm just sharing my strategy. The weight loss industry is built on...