Skip to main content

Back in the Swing of Things

I'm back in the swing of things with the Cheapo regimen. I stepped on the scale this morning and clocked in at 160.0. I touched into the 159's a couple of times this week, but I'm pretty happy with where I am. I've been hitting my 2500 calorie targets every day, and my weight has normalized again after creeping up 2-3 pounds after back to back family weekends earlier this month.

I'm sort of back on track with the SEAL training too. I've basically been running a couple of miles a day on my training days and doing 2 sets of 8 pull-ups, 5 sets of 25 sit ups, and 5 sets of 25 push-ups. My push-up strength has almost all returned after my travel and my stretch of family time. So, I think another week or so of doing these reps, and I'll start jumping back on the SEAL program schedule. I'm pretty sure some of my weight losses have been offset by muscle gain since it's almost mathematically impossible for me to be gaining fat with my daily calorie input/output what it currently is.

I've also tried out a new hair-cutting solution. In the process of teaching myself how to become my own barber, I ended up purchasing a whole assortment of cordless and corded hair clippers, with different length guards, modifying/lengthening guards with household items, etc. The cabinet under my sink is an utter mess.

The cheap man doesn't like clutter, and I'm always looking to consolidate gear when possible. What I really wanted was a single cordless adjustable length hair clipper that could extend long enough to clip the top of my head and adjust down to fade the sides and also trim my beard. Cordless is also a lot better since I can stand in the shower and contain the mess there. Also, if it doesn't ever need oiling, that's a bonus too.

I finally found a product that checks all of those boxes and is *almost* perfect. It retails for $40, but I found an open box one on ebay for $15. Behold, the Norelco 7100:


I like to cut my hair to 1" on top, and this will extend all the way out to 23mm (0.9" - close enough). Other than that, it's perfect. I haven't used it to cut my beard, but it shouldn't be a problem. I just need to figure out which length corresponds to my beard trimmer length, and I can probably do away with that trimmer as well. Cutting my mustache area might be a little challenging with this size of this trimmer, but it should be manageable.

I didn't mean to step on my blog post about my car misadventures from this week that I published this morning, so make sure you read that too. Feast or famine here at Cheapo. You got no blog posts or everything all at once. Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Updates (2/9/2018)

Week one of BUD/S training is going OK. I can do everything but all the sit-ups (and of course the swimming, due to the lack of pool). The best I could bang out with sit-ups were 2 sets of 20, 1 of 15 and 1 of 10. But, at least I haven't experienced any soreness yet. Just the little bit of additional activity has me losing even slightly more weight. I'm holding my weight under the 40 pound loss benchmark on the scale every day now, and I'm feeling really good. I've almost forgotten how much I enjoyed running, which I'm sure has a lot to do with how much less of a strain it is on my body. I'm not going to lie - it was nothing short of exhilarating holding down the weight button on the treadmill for as long as it took to reduce the weight setting from 198 to 157- my weight from the last time I set it. It was definitely a bizarre experience. After the PowerWatch bust, I decided to try out another activity tracker watch. So, I ordered a Garmin Fenix 5X. It's...

Fighting the Backslide

Well, the summer of unavoidable calorie bombshells is over, and while the good ship Cheapo held up through most of it (look at that beautiful flat line in late August), by the end of the summer of nonstop weddings and travel, I caught myself at 167 pounds. That's 9 pounds higher than my target weight. I actually probably crossed the 10 pound Rubicon at one point, giving back a full 25% of my total losses (yeesh) had I had the nerve to step on the scale immediately following the last wedding of the summer in which I practically single-handedly destroyed the buffet. Destroyed! My clothes were starting to feel a little tight and I subconsciously found myself reaching for my larger fitting clothing. Not good. I've slipped out of my Navy SEAL lite training program. Also, not good. I missed a few consecutive days of calorie logging - red flag. Since I hit my 158 target earlier this year, I gave myself a little more leniency with weekend indulgences, but the 80% rule sho...

Intro - The Plan

Welcome! Presumably, you've arrived here because you're drawn to two of my favorite hobbies: losing weight and saving cash. Until 5 months ago, I thought that each of those two things were incompatible with the other. I always thought that being fit meant either getting used to shelling out big bucks for expensive gym memberships and overpriced health food, or that saving money meant getting used to back pains from your wide-ass sitting on a fat wallet after passing over the high-price hipster wrap shop for a $1.50 McDouble. Well, I'm happy to report that you can indeed lose weight on the cheap with minimal sacrifices to your current lifestyle. On July 10, 2017 I weighed 198 lbs and as of December 21, 2017, I now weigh 160 lbs. I have not set one foot in the gym, on a treadmill or lifted any weights, and I have saved several thousand dollars in food costs. I'm not here to sell anything. I'm just sharing my strategy. The weight loss industry is built on...